For answers, Contact [email protected]
Your Cart is Empty
Click here to try again
Thank you for your business!You should be receiving an order confirmation from Paypal shortly.Exit Shopping Cart
Study Guide Chapter Five
Describe the Cracker horse (St Johns Ponies) and why they were so valuable to the cow hunters.
- What are Cutters? Headers? Heelers?
- Name at least three counties where wild cattle still roamed in the 1900s.
- Where was the first frontier school established?
- Which town was called the Cow Capital of Central Florida?
- What kinds of wildlife threatened pioneer families in the 1900s?
- Where was the last wold attack reported in 1888?
- In what county did cattlemen stop to fatten up their cows on the way to market?
- What kinds of trees and grasses were avaliable at Paynes Prairie?
- What problem occurred in 1906 after cattle were imported from Texas?
- When did a mandatory dipping program begin in Florida?
- Describe the dipping program and why it was necessary.
- Why were double fences built nine feet apart near railroads?
- Which county was the first to have cattle attorneys? Why?
- What's a cowcatcher?
- Who was the Ashley Gang? What did ranchers do to protect their cattle from them?
- What's a buckaroo?
- What's an abattoir?
- Who was responsible for the Fence Wars?
- Describe a typical Florida Cowboy and his clothing. Compare to western cowboys. What kind of saddle did they use? How did they get the name "Cracker Cowboy"?
- Why did early motorists dislike signs that read "OPEN RANGE"?
- What was the name of the first road across the southern part of Florida?
- When was it completed? It was named for which two towns?
- Name the man whose dream came true in 1947 when the Everglades became a National Park.
- Where is the Chinsegut Hill Farm located? How big is it? What is it used for?
- How did the Dust Bowl (1931-1939) affect Florida cattlemen?
- What association was formed in 1934 to help cattlemen?
- Who were the "Cow Belles"?
- What happened during a frog-strangler?
- What river flooded in 1936?
- Who was Edward F. Knipling? How did he help the cattle industry in Florida?
- What year was the first annual Seminole Days celebration?
- In the 1940s, what did cattlemen do to improve their herds?
- How did these changes affect the cow hunter's life?
- When did Florida finally get its Fence Law?
- What happened to the little scrub cows that weren't used for crossbreeding?
- What pioneer cattleman kept the bloodlines pure for the little cracker cows?
- After he died, how did his daughters help preserve the cracker cow?
- Who was the Agriculture Commissioner who helped save "a living part of Florida's history", the cracker cows?
- Where are the four state herds of cracker cows located?
- What year was the Florida Cracker Cattle Breeders Association formed?
- What pioneer horseman helped to preserve the cracker horse in the state?
- When was the little cracker horse named Florida's State Horse?
- What does FCCA stand for? FCHA?